The minor in history is designed to provide students with substantial understanding of the human past.
The minor consists of 12 credit hours of history course work at the 2000 level and above. Of these, at least 6 credit hours must be at the 3000 level and above. Courses at the 1000 level cannot be used on the minor.
- Students are free to choose any History courses they wish to fulfill the 12 credit hours, but they are encouraged to take courses that focus on a particular theme, time period, or geographic region.
- Students are also encouraged to consult with an adviser when preparing their minor.
General Information on Minors in the Arts & Sciences
The following guidelines govern this minor.
Required for graduation: No
Credit hours required: A minimum of 12
Transfer credit hours allowed: A maximum of 6
- No more than 3 credit hours of History 3193 or 4193 ("Individual Studies") may be counted towards the Minor Program.
- No more than 3 credit hours of History 2797, 2798, 3797, 3798, 4797, or 4798 ("Study at a Foreign Institution" and "Study Tour") may be counted towards the Minor Program.
Overlap with the GE: Permitted. History courses used to fulfill the following GE requirements—Historical Study, Historical Study or Culture & Ideas, and the 2 Open options (as well as Global Studies and Social Diversity in the United States)—may also satisfy the History Minor. Please Note: While we encourage students to take 4000-level readings and research seminars for the minor, such 4000-level courses do not offer GE credit. History courses at the 2000 and 3000 level offer GE credit.
Overlap with the major: Not allowed and:
- The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
- Overlap between minors: Each minor completed must contain 12 unique hours.
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor
- Course work graded Pass/Non-pass cannot count on the minor.
Approval required: All proposals for an Undergraduate Minor Program in History must be submitted in writing to the Undergraduate History Office and approved by that office.
Filing the Minor Program Form: The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.
Changing the minor: Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by:
- The academic unit offering the minor